Saturday 11 April 2015

I'm Connected

As a disabled crafter who usually has issues walking to her local corner shop, getting out into the big world and meeting people is a challenge. Over the years I have had so many of my friends drift off as I have to cancel yet another thing with them or had to stop whatever it was that was the foundation of our friendship. It is due to these issues that I LOVE Ravelry and adored the EYF so much (yes I could not get to the corner shop for a week after the sunday, but it was worth it).

On Thursday, I met up with the two friends, both made through Rav, specifically the HPKCHC (Harry Potter Knitting and Crocheting House Cup, aka The Cup), that I met at EYF. We met at my LYS (Gingertwist Studios) and spent a while chatting to Jess (the awesome dyer and owner of Gingertwist)  buying yarn (my yarn is on the top - BFL sock rock in Hocus pocus, pic. thanks to SadieLou) and then went to a local pub for a drink and more nattering while we sat and knitted. It was cool. Well, as I sat in the sunny seat at the pub maybe it was HOT.



If it wasn't for Rav and for The Cup, I would not have met two cool people and made friends with them and others. It really helps make the world a more connected place. Thank you Rav.

The Cup is part of my crafting journey. Every month I try to make smaller projects alongside the one or two epic things I have on needles. I spent from the middle of February and through March learning to crochet so I could give a small gift (Hogwarts Rosettes) to the Cuppers I was going to meet at EYF.


On my way to the rosettes I had to learn how to do things with a hook, my 1st attempt at crochet was a single crochet square. Which was the first time I ever understood how it worked. My poor great Aunt tried to teach me to crochet and all I ever made was knots.


The second thing made was a circular double crochet with a magic ring start. I also learned how to make a circle grow which is awesome.

 
Having conquered the seas of blue, I now needed to work out how you change colours in crochet. The pattern for the rosettes was for single colours and I wanted all the house colours for each flower.

So I made spirals. I think these have a lot of potential to be tessalated so expect some more in the future.






With those skills I managed to make my originally planned items, the Rosettes and start what may be a tradition for me when meeting Cuppers. I wonder if the Hogwarts rosettes will grow and become a thing for others.

So once more, Thanks for helping me connect, being a place to make friends (local and world wide) and for being a place which inspires me to craft and discover more things. Thanks Ravelry.

Oh and HPKCHC rocks (especially JaneJetsons stash club, Slytherin and my uber awesome Copperhead Nesties).

This post is inspired by the Love your blog challenge. Occasionally I need a kick to remember to blog and this helped.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your post...Ravelry has been wonderful....glad you were able to meet some fellow Ravelers.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting.
      Have you had a real life Rav encounter? If so was it as nice as mine? Would live to know.

      Delete