Friday 23 January 2015

Sheep on the ceiling (origins)

I promised a  couple of posts ago I'd explain where the name of my dyeing and zazzle business comes from - Sheep on the ceiling.

It was when I was younger and running my parents gift shop in Conwy (North Wales). They had daft fleece covered plastic sheep for sale and tiny pencil topper packs of plastic figures which kids loved to buy. For a laugh we stuck some to the ceiling in the shop. Over the spring we phoned up the local radio for a song request and they asked us what was special about our gift shop - answer 'We're the only shop with sheep on the ceiling!' That got us a laugh and a full mention  along with a request from the radio guy for people to go check it out and let him know what was found, rather than just a customary mention. Next thing that happened, we had people coming in and asking if we were the shop with sheep on the ceiling and if it was OK to take photos. Hell yeah. Sales of sheep went up as well. We popped a sign in the window as we headed for the summer as people were coming in more frequently and for a while we were famous in a pre-internet way as word of mouth spread about the shop with sheep on the ceiling and people made it a part of there visit to Conwy.

Now of course there are photo's out there but as someone busy putting sheep on the ceiling rather than being a visitor I don't think I ever took any myself. Maybe someone out there will have photos in their collection from the 1990's of the shop with sheep on the ceiling in Conwy. If so, I'd love a copy. I'd also love to get a set of sheep and one of the fleece covered ones again - my last one was lost due to moth munching after many years of travel from flat to flat just over a year ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment